Session 8 – Unitarian Universalism
Topics: The Spirituality of the Five Smooth Stones: Hope, Love, Justice, Courage, and Joy/Faith. The 7 Principles of the UUA.
Guiding Principles for a Free Faith (The Five Smooth Stones of Religious Liberalism)
Reflection Questions for Journaling:
- How do I feel about individualism being inadequate for a liberal faith?
- What is my emotional reaction to JLA’s idea that God is the inescapable commanding reality that sustains and transforms all meaningful existence?
- How do I feel about the importance of the model of biblical prophetic witness?
- How comfortable am I with the idea of my privileges?
- What’s my reaction to the idea that spirituality cannot be divorced from justice?
- Does the concept of ultimate optimism ring true for me?
- What’s my emotional reaction to the idea that I am a part of the creative, sustaining, transforming reality?
- What if the 5th stone was called “faith” instead of joy? How would I feel about that?
- How do I feel about the 7 principles of the UUA?
- How do I feel about the Five Smooth Stones being the cornerstone of Unitarian Universalism?